The Charlevoix Photography Club, Inc. (CPC), in cooperation with the Charlevoix Circle of Arts and the support of Charlevoix Auto is pleased to accept submissions for its Twelfth Annual Juried Photography Exhibition entitled “Pure Northern Michigan”. The dates for the exhibition are Friday June 11 through Saturday June 19, 2021 at the Charlevoix Circle of Arts located at 109 Clinton Street, Charlevoix, Michigan. The hours are from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday. The hours for Friday, June 11th are extended to 7:00 p.m.
The Charlevoix Photography Club wishes to honor former member Rob Maxwell during this exhibition. Rob passed away in May of 2020 due to cardiac issues. He was a mentor, a teacher, as well as a fellow board member. He had many years of photography experience, dating back to film and darkroom skills. We will miss his talent and encouragement.
We are honored to have Pure Michigan Photographer Craig Sterken as the juror for this year’s Pure Northern Michigan Photography Exhibition. Craig and his wife are both Michigan natives and currently reside in the Bay City area. With a love of the outdoors and everything this state has to offer, Craig and his wife spend much of their time traveling the state to visit places as diverse as the beaches of Ludington to the wilderness of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Porcupine Mountains, or to the expanse of Sleeping Bear Dunes, where Craig captures all of its beauty in his photographs.
Although interested in all forms of photography, landscape and nature photography are Craig’s real passion. You’ll find lots of landscape photos featuring waterfalls, lighthouses, beaches, and more on his website. His favorite areas to photograph are anywhere along the shores of Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. Ice covered lighthouses in winter are natures sculptures and ever changing. Autumn strewn leaves on river rocks add vivid colors to waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula. Our iconic Mackinac Bridge changes scenery depending on the season or time of day.
In addition to his photo work, Craig also does freelance writing, offers royalty-free licensing, and guest blogging for other websites, including the Pure Michigan campaign. His work appears on Pure Michigan billboards, US Mail stamps, magazines, travel brochures, commercial calendars, as well as gracing the walls of many homes, offices, and hospitals. You can view his work on his website at craigsterken.com.
In keeping with the Pure Northern Michigan theme, all photographic images should be of subjects taken in Northern Michigan. The exhibition is open to all current members of the Charlevoix Photography Club and others who wish to participate (excluding professional photographers). There are no limitations as to when or where in Northern Michigan the photographs were taken. Cash prizes will be given for first, second and third place images in each of the five categories. The juror will also select, at his discretion, images deemed appropriate for Honorable Mention.
A distinguishing feature of the CPC Exhibition is that all accepted entries are juried while hanging in the exhibition hall. To enter the Exhibition, ready to hang art must be brought to the Circle of Arts and the submission process completed on Thursday, June 3rd from 3:00 -5:00 p.m. or Friday, June 4th from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
An opening reception will be held on Friday, June 11th from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Awards will be announced at this time.
*This event is subject to change due to COVID-19 mitigation protocols and MDHHS emergency orders.
Submissions are subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Submitted art must be photographic in origin. Categories are: 1) Wildlife; 2) People; 3) Artistic Expression; 4) Landscape; 5) Macro
- To enter the juried CPC Exhibition a non-refundable registration fee of $25 is required for current CPC members and $40 for non-members. This fee covers two entries. Entries will be limited to four images per artist. The artist may purchase an additional two entries in the juried exhibition for a fee of $10 per image.
- All art submitted must be on print media ready to hang.
- At the time of registration, the artist must complete and submit an entry form. Submitted art will not be hung if the registration process is not completed.
- The registration form will be sent to each club member via email. Non-members may access it on the club’s webpage: www.charlevoixphotographyclub.org
- For each image registered, the artist must provide name, phone number, image title, category and selling price affixed to the back of the image prior to drop off.
- Photographs may contain the artist’s watermark.
- Neither the CPC nor the Charlevoix Circle of Arts (including members, volunteers, and employees) will be responsible for any damage to any art submitted. It is suggested that photographers carry separate insurance.
- Art previously exhibited in any prior CPC Exhibition is not eligible for submission.
- Artists will be notified by email in the event submitted art is not selected for the Exhibition and may pick up their artwork during normal gallery hours at any time during the Exhibition.
- Friday, June 11th, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m., the juror will present a review of images on display. He will describe what he looks for in an image and how his choices are made.
- All art must remain in the Exhibition hall from June 11th through June 19th. Exhibitors may claim their work on Monday, June 21st between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Please arrange for someone else to pick up your work if you are unable to be there on June 21st. Make sure they have written permission to show the employees of the gallery should this be the case.
- If art is sold, the Charlevoix Circle of Arts receives 40% of the sale price.
- Registering and submitting art for the Exhibition constitutes agreement with these rules/requirements.
- Questions may be directed to Sharron Hemme at firstname.lastname@example.org
A big “THANK YOU” to Charlevoix Auto for sponsoring our Twelfth Annual Charlevoix Photography Club Exhibition!